Week 4 Blog project #1

DESCRIBE

1. I chose to watch the show shameless on netflix, I started watching the show about a year ago and it just recently came out with a new season, and recently started re-watching the show.

2. I would say that the show shameless falls into the category of drama. Although the show if portrayed by real people could easily fall into a reality show with it being about a family and their lifestyle.

3. In the episode I recently watched, Frank, just woke up in the hospital after being in a coma for 30 days. After getting out of the hospital he went to bar and see his family then shortly after realized none of them went to look for him while he was in the hospital. While all that is happening, Debbie is struggling with being a teen mother and contemplates giving up her baby. Instead of giving up the child for adoption, she decides to start steeling from people and selling their items online for money. Fiona is managing the diner she is working at currently and trying to go back to waiting tables. Lip just got out of rehab and trying to get back into college and trying to find a job.

4. The producer for shameless is Michael Hissrich. 
William Macy plays Frank Gallagher, the father of all six children.
Emmy Rossum plays Fiona Gallagher, the oldest daughter.
Jeremy White plays Philip (Lip) Gallagher
Cameron Monaghan as Ian Gallagher
Emma Kenney as Debbie Gallagher
Ethan Cutkosky as Carl Gallagher
Shanola Hampton as Veronica Fisher (V)
Steve Howey as Kevin Ball

Many of the reviews say that the story stays true to the original plot along with being funny and how it can relate to real life.
"Shameless is excellent, compelling television from the first moment. As long as it stays true to the root of the original,its going to be essential viewing." -The Hollywood reporter

5. I watched the show on netflix, which didn't have any advertisement other than for other TV shows or movies.

ANALYZE

1. The attitude and style to the show mainly projects on the "lower class" families. The Gallagher family lives in the slum of Chicago. There is 6 people living in a 4 bedroom home which technicality should be condemned. Its filmed on location in Chicago, I personally feel like the show is filmed on high quality and properly edited.

2. To be honest, there isn't many other shows that compare to shameless. There are some reality TV shows that I could see how could compare, such as 16 and pregnant. In 16 and pregnant there are people struggling to support themselves along with the daily struggle of life.

3. Shameless is unique because not many other TV shows or even movies, shows the lower class and the struggles they may go through. The story describes an alcoholic father and "raising" his 5 kids. The humor and drama in the show is different than any other shows I have ever seen. It has a lot of different unique story lines to the movie and always keeps new things coming.


INTERPRET

1. Frank Gallagher is stereotyped as an alcoholic, and a low life. When it comes to being an alcoholic, all he does is drink and do drugs and doesn't care about much more than that. He isn't a good father and would easily put himself over any of his kids to get what he wants, such as booze or money.
Fiona Gallagher has mad a reputation for a "slut" by sleeping around when she is single or cheating on her boyfriends.
Ian Gallagher is often called "crazy" or "psychotic" because he was diagnosed with being bi polar.

2. I think the target audience for this show is directed towards upper teens to mid 30's and directed towards both genders. The show is about a lower class family and their struggles and drama through out their lives and what they go through day to day. I'd say it would be directed towards people in the lower and mid class so they might be able to relate to some of the situations they go through in the show.

3. If I was visiting from a different country this would most likely be one of the last shows I would watch. This show doesn't give a good example of how most people should live their lives, I understand not everyone can control how they grow up and have to make the best out of what they are given, but from an outsiders point of view watching a show with an alcoholic as the father, a slut and a schizophrenic as a mother and all the children growing up to not the best people isn't a very good example of most of the U.S.

EVALUATE

1.  I think that one of the strengths of the show is that you can relate to some situations in real life. Living in the middle class all my life, some of the situations in the show I have seen through out my life, such as alcoholics, drug users, and being short on money, although not near to the extreme of the show.  I'd say one thing I might call a weakness to the show is that it tends to skip from character to character a little bit more than most shows, it will go from one scene with one of the children to a completely different scene not relating to the first scene at all. All and all if you pay attention to the show it is easily followed, but if you don't pay full attention you will easily get confused as to what is going on.

2. When it comes to shameless, there is a lot a like about the show. I like that it is easy to relate to in real life and the aspect of different situations. As bad as this might sound, I like how it makes me feel better about my life and how good I really do have it. It keeps you on your toes, a lot of shows will get boring to me by the second or third season but the producer did a very good job at throwing in twists and plots to switch it up.
I would say the biggest thing I don't like about the show is that it switches scenes too often for my liking. Even though he is the one who makes the show and makes it so intriguing, I hate Franks character and how he treats his family.

3. Many critics say the show is "filled with drama and humor"  along with "satisfying and unusual viewing experiences"
From what I have read, most of the critics have enjoyed the show and the humor in it.

ENGAGE

1. I started watching shameless a little over a year ago, I watched all 6 season within the first month or two. Netflix just recently has come out with a season 7 and just started watching it. Almost all of my friends have watched the show, or at least a few of the episodes.

2. Other then watching shameless on netflix, I don't follow any other social media for it.

3. I have seen adds for the show on facebook before under " TV shows you might enjoy". Facebook has its own page for the show with plenty of memes and scenes from the show.
This show has gone far from facebook and word of mouth and almost everyone my age that I know, has watched it. I have friends on facebook who have posted about the show and certain things in the new episodes that come out and when tagging the show their watching, it will show up on the shameless facebook page.

CONCLUSION

1.  When it comes to watching the show, before I obviously knew there were unhealthy people out there, both mentally and physically but watching the show gave me new out site on what people may actually go through in real life and how well off I really am.

2.  The more I watched the show the more I got into it and it got hard to stop watching. There was always something new the family had to overcome. It surprises me that people can go through so much and still somehow have a positive outcome on things.

4https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu9mslgDcR4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shameless_(U.S._TV_series)
http://www.metacritic.com/tv/shameless-us/critic-reviews

http://www.salon.com/2011/01/08/shameless_remake/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 Questions

Week 3

Week 2