Week 1 Questions

Topic 1:

 My name is Paige, I am currently enrolled in LB to get an associates in art, this is my first term back to school in about 4 years. My goal for the end of it is to work with my aunt and do appraisal for real estate.
Linn Benton seemed to be a good fit for me because it is close to commute for me and the online classes makes it so I can still work full time and still spend time with my son, even if it might end up him watching tv and me studying.
When it comes to media I am excited to learn about how to use certain media sites and how it effects the world. I am not very good at technology and would be interested in learning more about it.
Outside of college, I am a very active person. I am a full time, single mom and currently working full time as a hairdresser. I absolutely love summer and being outdoors, which is going to make staying on top of classes this summer a bit harder for me. I enjoy working out at the gym, going swimming, hunting, fishing, and I even line dance a few nights a week.

Topic 2:


I would consider my top 3 forms of information from social sites to be, Facebook, Instagram, and google. Facebook is my go to site for information because that seems to be where everyone goes to, to check on the latest news, and within minutes of something happening, best believe someone is already posting about it weather it may be true or not. When it comes to Instagram, I wouldn't say its so much about following the news but more so following what all my friends are doing. I enjoy pictures and seeing memories and Instagram is a place where I can do so. Google is my go to for every thing it seems like, even when I'm out with my friends and were arguing over something as simple as " how many ounces are in a pound" we always resort to "just google it".
To be honest, I am not entirely sure how accurate all those sources are. I know Facebook has a lot of blogs or links that aren't true. Its often I scroll my feed and see "large cat takes over the city" or something silly like that and I could just sit there and laugh, knowing its not true. That being said, I would like to think when I'm scrolling through and see "mass shooting" in my feed that, that isn't something someone would joke about. When it comes to Facebook I would say that most of the information on there is 50/50. Everyone knows when you "google something" that there is a chance you may not get the correct information off of it. I would think simple things like "how many ounces are in a pound" that the first thing that comes up is true, other wise I am probably loosing a lot of arguments with my friends. When it comes to writing an essay or a paper, I would look for the information in various places to make sure it is accurate, which when it comes to writing essays or final projects it is probably a good idea to look for the information in a book. But lets be real, most students will avoid that at all costs.
Although I was already pretty aware about false information on media, after watching those videos it did make me think more about how easy things can get passed along. When it comes to me posting on social sites, its usually just me tagging my friends and I at the local brewery or some silly quote I found off pintrest. If I do share any other information that could potential be more serious, I double check on multiple sites to make sure what I am about to post is accurate.

Comments

  1. I'm always very impressed with full time parents going back to school! It takes so much dedication from both you and your family to be working, going to school, and spending time with your son, so great job! Linn Benton is a great community and I feel as though with it being smaller it is a good way to be able to go to school and still keep up with day to day life, professors get to know their students more and are often understanding of balancing home life and school work. It must be exciting for you to be back in school and following your plan that you have set out for yourself! I took almost two years off before enrolling at Linn Benton, real life experience before loading your plate with school as well is very beneficial in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3

Week 2